PT Kayan Hydropower Nusantara (KHN)
PT Kayan Hydropower Nusantara (KHN)
Our Business Principles:
- Emphasise sustainability- we adhere with policies and objectives of the Government of Indonesia and align with international best practices to ensure our project is developed sustainably and responsibly.
- Prioritise safety – we aim to not harm anyone at any time and are guided by the International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD) Guidelines to ensure dams are built and operated safely and efficiently;
- Deliver positive impacts – through our project, we aim to generate maximum economic benefits for Indonesia and provide growth opportunities to its people by encouraging local content participation;
- Prioritise integrity- we are committed to maintaining a high level of integrity and excellence in governance;
- Support development agenda- we support Government of Indonesia’s sustainable development agenda and its commitment to implement energy transition.
Built on more than 100 years of experience powering Sarawak, the Company also has 40 years foundation in successful hydropower development and hydro-industrialization in Sarawak.
Kayan Patria Pratama
About Mentarang Induk HEP
The 1.375MW MIHEP in the Malinau Regency, North Kalimantan is the first large-scale, sustainable hydropower project to be developed by KHN and the most advanced in Indonesia to provide affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy for Kawasan Industri Hijau Indonesia (KIHI), which is a National Strategic Project (Presidential Decree No. 56 Year 2018).
For its significant role in materialising the first and largest green industrial park, KIHI, MIHEP and its 230km 500kV transmission line system is also listed as a National Strategic Project.
The AMDAL for MIHEP was approved in 2023 while the AMDAL study for the transmission line system is currently ongoing.
The hydropower project is located 35km upstream of Kota Malinau and was selected based on its optimal topographical, geological and geographical conditions with good access availability and maximised river yield from the Mentarang River and its main tributary, the Tubu River
MIHEP will be a Concrete Faced Rockfill Dam (CFRD) designed with a dam crest height of 235m and crest length of 815m
Completed in 2018 (comprising hydrology, geology, preliminary design and scheme optimisation, power study, preliminary environmental and social impacts assessment, risk analysis, power dispatch and transmission assessments).
The installed capacity of this project is 1.375MW and its potential firm power is 925MW. Once commissioned, it is expected to generate approximately 9 Terawatt hours (TWh) per annum.
The reservoir size of MIHEP will be 226km2 and once inundated will have a Full Supply Level of 230m
Transmission Line System
- A 230 km 500 kV overhead transmission lines that passes through Malinau, Tana Tidung and Bulungan regencies
- A 500/150kV substation at Tanah Kuning
Upon the completion of all necessary foundation and pre-engineering works, the construction of MIHEP is expected to begin in 2024 and targeted to deliver its first power by 2029.
Project Benefits to Communities
- Sustainable socio-economic transformation in North Kalimantan
- Infrastructure and utilities developments
- Economic and job opportunities
- Corporate Social and Environmental Responsibility (CSER) Programmes under “KHN Lestari” to empower local communities.
Sustainable and Responsible Hydropower Development
MIHEP complies with all relevant Indonesian laws and is designed according to international design and safety standards by the International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD) as well as guidelines of International Hydropower Association’s Hydropower Sustainability Standards.
Flash floods hit Malinau Regency, North Kalimantan on Friday, 22 September 2023 causing thousands of houses and public facilities to be submerged. The flood, which submerged several sub-districts in Malinau, including Mentarang, Malinau Kota, West Malinau and North Malinau, was caused by the overflowing of the Mentarang River and Sesayap River. PT Kayan Hydropower Nusantara
Tarakan, 19 September 2023 – PT Kayan Hydropower Nusantara (KHN) and the University of Borneo Tarakan (UBT) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate in preparing a Community & Indigenous Peoples Development and CSER (Corporate Social & Environmental Responsibility) Plan at Tarakan Plaza Hotel today. Signing for KHN was its Director Titis Lintang Andari
Indonesia President, Joko Widodo Breaks Ground on Construction of Mentarang Induk Hydroelectric Plant – The Largest PLTA in Indonesia with a Capacity of 1,375 MW
Malinau Kalimantan Utara, 1st March 2023 – Indonesian President Joko Widodo inaugurated the groundbreaking of the Mentarang Induk Hydroelectric Power Plant (PLTA) owned by PT Kayan Hydropower Nusantara (KHN) which is the largest hydropower plant in Indonesia, accompanied by Premier Sarawak, Malaysia Abang Haji Abdul Rahman Zohari Abang Openg, Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs and